2015年7月11日星期六

Shining Tears



“Lady, how about that pair of crystal earrings?" In the direction of the shop assistant’s fingers, the water drop shaped earrings rested in a small black velvet case. As I caressed the smooth surface of the little glittery earrings, my mind drifted back through the years, back to the days with Jack who shed tears just like the earrings. It took me back to the fresh touch of love.

I remember it was a sunny day, everything went well until that moment. I left classroom as usual, putting my left hand on the door frame. And suddenly, Jack – a naughty boy in my class rushed out, without seeing my hand. He slammed the door. My left hand was still on the door frame, but, part of my middle finger was not. My fingertip was cut off by the door!

The blood surged out as spring. There was screaming and yelling all around me. After freezing for seconds, I dashed to the gate of the school. The only thought in my mind at that moment was the doctor could save me. I felt that the red and warm liquid was leaving from my body quickly. I was scared.

The kids all jumped aside as I passed by. It was horrible for thirteen years old children to see a girl running in the corridor with blood gushing out. They dared not to find out what happened.

However, I found someone running with me -- the bad jack who slammed the door. He was crying like a puppy. But He kept running with me.

My teacher sent me to the hospital as soon as possible. I started to realize that it was extremely painful when I sat on the car to the hospital. So I couldn’t help sobbing. Seeing me crying out for mom, Jack cried even more sad. What a strange boy. What is even stranger is that because of the sunshine, his tears sparkled in a beautiful way, which, in several seconds, made me forget my pain.

I had a surgery in the hospital and stayed there for about a week. My parents were heart-broken but they did not blame Jack too much. But I guessed that Jack’s parents was really angry about what he did. Because when they came to visit me in the hospital, Jack kept his face down and dared not to speak. Actually I was not mad at him. Maybe I had forgiven him when he burst into tears.

When I came back to the school, my finger had not healed completely. I was not able to use my left hand. So Jack became my left hand. Every afternoon, he accompanied me on my walk home, holding my backpack. The first few days, we did not talk to each other. He kept looking at the other side of the street. And I stared at my shoes all the time. There is an embarrassing silence. I peeped at his face sometimes. The sun highlighted the arresting contour of his cheek. It always reminded me the glittering tears he had that day.

We started to chat after a week or so. At the outset, we just complained about there is too much homework, commented on the dress our math teacher wore that day, discussed about how to get through the tough exam the next day. As time moved on, we began to talk something more personal. He told me that he was crazy for basketball and he wanted Nike’s basketball shoes as birthday gift. I told him that l love the lollipop sold in the Mr.Li’s grocery store. We also talked a lot about our pets, our friends, our family and almost everything in our mind. Chatting with him after school became the most amazing part of my day. But I had something I never told him. I couldn’t forget his tears, it was in my dream, in my brain and it was everywhere.

As time went by, my finger finally recovered. And I no longer needed Jack to be my left hand. I was upset the day I had to tell Jack that I could take backpack by myself.

“Thank you for your time Jack.” It’s hard for me to keep smiling while saying goodbye to the company of Jack.

“You see, my finger can move now. So, you do not need to accompany me on my way home anymore. What a good news, right?” Human being is strange species. We tend to pretend to be happy when we are actually bitter in hearts. 

Jack was silent for a few seconds with hands in his trousers pockets. I was hoping that he was going to say something that will make me feel a little better.

Thank God he did.

Pulling my favorite lollipop from his pocket, he said “I passed by Mr.Li’s store yesterday, here you are”. He put the lollipop in my hand. And the instant he touched the center of my palm, I felt pumping of his heart.

“And you know what, I enjoy going back home with you. So, if you don’t mind—“He doesn’t look at me when he spoke, he was looking at the building across the street as usual. I looked up, his handsome side face glittered in the bright sunshine with a lovely and delicate flush.

“Of course I don’t.”

“Lady.” The shop assistant pulled me back from the past. “Do you like this pair of earrings?”

“Yes, it’s beautiful. But I have had one.” I smiled and walked out of the store.


I have been out of touch with Jack for a long time. I would rather preserve his tears, his side face and his lollipop in my memory. The picture of the little Jack and the little grace walking along the street at sunset is timeless.

没有评论:

发表评论