2015年7月7日星期二

I am in New Haven






This is my first visit to the USA. The experience of the first two days in New haven is tired but interesting. The tiring  part is the tiredness after long journey, and the interesting part is experiencing Yale, finding differences between America and China.

After more than 18 hours' flight and stopping at Hong Kong and Vancouver, I finally got to New York. Then I took a shuttle to New Haven. This long journey from Shanghai to New Haven and the jet lag really exhausted me.

However,the beautiful campus of Yale alleviates my fatigue. The campus here is really different from campus in China. Yale seems to be a part of the city because I couldn't find clear boundaries of the campus. In China, most of the campuses have walls that separate it from the other areas of the city. Besides, the buildings is special. Most of them are made of stones and some of them are with a pointed roof like church. They seems to be more solid than buildings of my campus. The style of the architectures here is unified and makes me feel comfortable.




Despite of the beauty, the great amount of facilities, services and activities which campus provides impress me a lot. I live in Calhoun College and some of my friends live in Morse College. Every college has its own library, dining hall and buttery. It is really convenient for us to study or have fun.I hear about that tons of board games and card games are available in butteries. It's awesome. In addition to enjoy time in campus, the summer session also offer chances to travel around. This week's events include seeing Broadway show and going to the Lake Compounce, I can't wait to have fun.

As a gourmand, I have to say something about food here. I love the food here, pizza, salad and especially milk. The milk here tastes fresh and pure. Although I like the food here, I admit that the taste of western people is really different from that of us. I suppose that Americans like sweet food very much because the cakes, juice and cereals in dining hall are all too sweet for me. I am worried about putting on weight after eating here for five weeks. Besides, most of the food here is cold. We Chinese are accustomed to hot food such as hot pot. Actually I have started to miss hot steaming dishes made by my grandmother. In addition to the flavor of the food, the size of the food here surprises me. I went to a supermarket the day I arrived in New Haven. I found that the size of the packaged snacks almost five times that in China.

At the end, I would like to talk about people. First, the population here is way smaller than in China. The day I arrived, I could hardly find someone to ask for directions. You know, in China, there are always a bunch of people walking on the streets. I am unused to the empty street and it makes me feel insecure. Second, the people here are kind, especially YSS staffs. The day I registered, I had to go to many places to settle all things down. I was not familiar with everything here, but wherever I go, I could find someone to help.

I am new here and I have a lot more things to explore. I believe I will enjoy this summer at Yale.



没有评论:

发表评论